Arjuna is a large deciduous tree, commonly found throughout India. Arjuna tree has been used as a medicine in Ayurveda for many thousands of years. This tree is cone-shaped with white bark and elliptic leaves placed in opposite directions. The sap of Arjuna tree is milky white in colour. The flowers are yellowish and fruits are fibrous woody and smooth.
Quick Facts about Arjuna or Terminalia Arjuna
Common name: Arjuna
Sanskrit name: Kakubha, Partha, Shwetavaaha
English name: Arjuna
Scientific name: Terminalia Arjuna
Dosha: Decreases Pitta and Kapha and increases Vata
Karma: Bhagnasandhankara, Hridya, Kaphahara, Pittahara, Vrananasana, Vyanga Hara
Arjuna tree originated from India. It can be found in various different climatic conditions ranging from sub-Himalayan regions to far south in Deccan region, Sri Lanka and Myanmar. It can be generally found along flowing water and marshy areas. This tree grows to about 20 – 25 m in length.
The bark of Arjuna tree is used for medicinal purposes and it has been found to contain minerals such as calcium, magnesium, aluminium, and tannins, flavonoids, saponin glycosides and phytosterols. The bark also contains crystalline compounds such as arjunine, arjunetin, essential oils and reducing sugars.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Arjuna bark has anti-inflammatory properties which act as COX inhibitors and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, and displayed both analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Controls cholesterol: Studies have shown that Arjuna tree is effective in bringing down LDL cholesterol levels. The hypocholesterolaemic effect was comparable to vitamin E.
- Cardiac protection: Arjuna bark has been traditionally prescribed for heart problems. Recent studies have shown that Arjuna was very effective in controlling refractory chronic congestive heart failure.
- Keeps diabetes in check: Studies have shown that the extracts from Arjuna bark were very effective in controlling diabetes. The research concluded Arjuna to be a potent diabetes reducing agent.
- Liver protection: The antioxidants present in Arjuna bark acted as nullifying agents against fluoride damage caused to the liver. Arjuna bark extracts were so effective that fluoride levels had come down to almost normal after just 10 days.
- Reduces gastric ulcers: Studies on Arjuna bark’s gastric protection abilities showed that it was very effective in controlling ulcers, lesions, regulating the gastric juice and pH level of gastric acid, etc. The anti-oxidants play in Arjuna bark play a major role in scavenging free radicals and minimizing their damage.
- Treats asthma: According to Ayurveda, Arjuna bark can be very effective in the treatment of asthma. Fine powder of the dried bark must be taken with kheer or rice and milk pudding.
- Diarrhoea and dysentery: Arjuna bark powder can also be effective in reducing both diarrhoea and dysentery. Not more than 20 to 30 g of powder should be taken.
- Fractures and contusions: According to Ayurveda, Arjuna bark is effective in restoring strength to the bones which have been fractured. Powdered dry bark of Arjuna can be taken along with honey for this.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds, 8 ways to a healthy blood pressure, ways to control high blood pressure without medication, ARJUNA A HEART SAVING TREE, Flax seed nutrition facts, Cashew nut nutrition facts, Health Benefits of Brown Rice, Aloe Vera Juice The New Miracle Drink, Super Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds, Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure, 10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication, Almonds nutrition facts, Health benefits of Walnuts, Health benefits of black pepper, Surprising Health Benefits of Cinnamon, Explore the health benefits of garlic, Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea, Amazing Health Benefits of ginger, Health Benefits of Turmeric, Best Fruits for Losing Weight, Eating Regularly To Lose Weight, Benefits of Clove in our day to day life, Health Benefits of Neem, Benefits of the Holy Basil (Tulsi), Health Benefit of red Chillies, Healthy Diet Habits, The healthiest way to lose weight , 10 Benefits to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Every Morning, Health Benefits of Apricot, Benefits of Honey in Weight Loss, Health Benefits of Indian Gooseberry or Amla,